  Re: Molecular biology
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jan 2011 04:35:39
Message: <4d2c246b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/01/2011 06:22 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> You seriously expect me to believe
>
> That's a terrible argument. "I couldn't imagine how something as complex
> as predicting the future that way could have happened" is just as bad an
> argument as "I couldn't imagine how hemoglobin came about."

OK, well how about chaos theory? That puts hard bounds on what can and
cannot be predicted. I should imagine that over the course of 4 billion
years, one single stray photon would probably be enough to perturb the
system sufficiently that it wildly diverges from your predictions. So
you'd have to predict solar activity too. (Not to mention random stray
comets colliding with Earth.)

On top of that, the effect of living organisms themselves is
significant. So in order to work out what what types of organisms you
need to design, you need to know what environments will be available,
which *depends on* what types of organisms you design.

Seriously, you don't need to be a chaos theory expert to see that all of
this is wildly impossible. (Not forgetting that the original premis is
already impossible because the number of species wildly exceeds the
information content of the first genomes.)

Now, Behe put forth the idea of "irreducible complexity". The idea being
that a system is irreducibly complex if removing any single component of
it breaks the system. Such systems, Behe asserted, cannot evolve.

Of course, that's a bit like buying a car, removing the engine
management system, observing that the car no longer works, and arguing
that the car cannot have been invented before computer technology became
available. Which, obviously, is absurd.

Then again, that's not *quite* the same, since the designs of artificial
devices can make sudden jumps. Evolution, in general, can't do that.

Dawkins showed that irreducibly complex systems can in fact evolve. For
example, suppose protein A exists, and does something useful. Now
suppose that a protein B comes along, which makes protein A slightly
more efficient. Assuming whatever A does is beneficial, doing it better
is obviously something that natural selection would favour.

What happens next is that A and B co-evolve. Any change in B which
enhances its effect on A would tend to be favoured. Any change in A
which enhances the effect of B on it would also tend to be favoured.
Fast-forward a few million generations and I wouldn't be at all
surprised if we now have a situation where A doesn't even *work* any
more without B.

In other words, the system has become irreducibly complex. And of
course, there's no particular reason why a protein C can't join the
party at some point along the smooth continuous route to irreducible
complexity. And then we would have 3 interrelated proteins that only
function in combination with each other.

Behe also chose an unfortunate example of an irreducibly complex system:
a cellular motor. He pointed out that it's a complex of 9 proteins, and
removing any one of them breaks the motor, so therefore it could not
have evolved. Except that somebody recently discovered a parasite that
uses just 2 of these proteins to make holes in the cell walls of its
host. So those 2 proteins on their own do something useful. They don't
make a motor, but they /are/ useful (for something slightly different).