POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Optics Server Time
3 Sep 2024 13:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Optics (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Optics
Date: 11 Nov 2010 22:40:39
Message: <4cdcb737$1@news.povray.org>
Trying to decide, already, what to do about Halloween next year.
Considering "improving" my Jedi costume and one thing I thought about
adding is "electrobinoculars". Mind, short of wearing like.. contacts
that are polorized for 3D, I see no practical way to do them the
"original" way they where in SW:EP1 (hint - you looked in the end with
one opening, the one with two openings was pointed *at* the thing you
wanted to look at. The rest of the movies they end up using them like
the "front" is the one with a single opening...) Basically, this would
imply that Luke's used a holographic display on "his" side, and
generated that from the two images taken in from the front, with
magnification.

Ok, so.. As I said, that design is pretty much out... lol Can probably
fake it by placing an eye separator in between images.. Close enough I
guess. lol

Now, the trick is, if I can figure out how, I plan to find two LCDs, of
some sort, of the same type/size, and have them for left and right eyes.
Then, use CCDs to "capture" the images (way easier to find too), and
tweak them, including adding lettering, etc., via a microcontroller, to
the image, before display. *But*, for this to work as a believable
design, I need to be able to "magnify" the image, and not using some
crappy pixel magnification (or at least not mostly, though mixing the
two could be.. complicated).

Finally, to my question - Anyone know any sites/sources, where I could
work out how to build the necessary mini-telescoping type optics
"inside", which would be needed to do true magnification? Shouldn't be
too hard to put together a step motor rig to move lenses on both sides,
to match, but, its figuring what lenses I would need to make it work at
all that I don't have a damn clue about.

Course, it might turn out to be a project that sits in the corner for
years, instead of being finished immediately. lol But, it would be damn
cool to build something that works.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

> Finally, to my question - Anyone know any sites/sources, where I could
> work out how to build the necessary mini-telescoping type optics
> "inside", which would be needed to do true magnification? Shouldn't be
> too hard to put together a step motor rig to move lenses on both sides,
> to match, but, its figuring what lenses I would need to make it work at
> all that I don't have a damn clue about.

You could buy cheap binoculars (e.g. kids toy), or old ones from a flea
market and reuse the optics.

> Now, the trick is, if I can figure out how, I plan to find two LCDs, of
> some sort, of the same type/size, and have them for left and right eyes.

I'd get two of those webcam telescopes, plug them into a small laptop you're
carrying on your back, and output the combined image to a small LCD monitor
covering both eyes.  You won't be able to place the LCD too close to your
eyes (think 15 cm or less) otherwise you'll get a headache very quickly.
Something like a 7 or 8" widescreen LCD should work.  Not sure how you plan
to house everything, it might end up looking a bit bulky unless you can do
something clever with mirrors.

Post a reply to this message

On 11/12/2010 5:07 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> Finally, to my question - Anyone know any sites/sources, where I could
>> work out how to build the necessary mini-telescoping type optics
>> "inside", which would be needed to do true magnification? Shouldn't be
>> too hard to put together a step motor rig to move lenses on both sides,
>> to match, but, its figuring what lenses I would need to make it work at
>> all that I don't have a damn clue about.
>
> You could buy cheap binoculars (e.g. kids toy), or old ones from a flea
> market and reuse the optics.

Hmm. True, to a point. Kind of depends. I would like a fair range of
magnification, and a lot of them have fairly limited potential. But,
yeah, that is a possibility.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Nov 2010 11:25:14
Message: <4cdd6a6a$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/2010 6:31 AM, scott wrote:
>> Now, the trick is, if I can figure out how, I plan to find two LCDs,
>> of some sort, of the same type/size, and have them for left and right
>> eyes.
>
> I'd get two of those webcam telescopes, plug them into a small laptop
> you're carrying on your back, and output the combined image to a small
> LCD monitor covering both eyes. You won't be able to place the LCD too
> close to your eyes (think 15 cm or less) otherwise you'll get a headache
> very quickly. Something like a 7 or 8" widescreen LCD should work. Not
> sure how you plan to house everything, it might end up looking a bit
> bulky unless you can do something clever with mirrors.

Well, making a "small" slim design is likely to be problematic, however
the ones from episode IV where rather bulky to start with. Something
between the two would probably be doable. Had considered using a wide
screen LCD too, but not sure of the odds of finding one on the cheap
(where is working ones from otherwise dead devices, including maybe even
old cell phones, in a smaller size, is likely easier). The laptop would
certainly be easier from the standpoint of coding, but it should be
possible to stick an Arduino or the like into a semi-bulky case, and
program it to do what is needed. Telescopes are and interesting idea..
One of the things I wasn't too sure of with using a check binocular was
"range" of magnification. A telescope might have more.

As for distance to eyes on the screens, if the design was made "close"
to the one in the movie, but maybe a bit less bulky, then "view" end
would have a few inches between eyes and screens anyway.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Nov 2010 23:34:48
Message: <4cde1568$1@news.povray.org>
Seems the biggest issue with this is finding the right controller, with
enough memory/ability to expand it, and *then* figuring out how to
attach the bloody parts to it. lol Going to need to do some thinking on
this...

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 13 Nov 2010 02:25:08
Message: <op.vl3lj0boufxv4h@go-dynamite>
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 06:34:47 +0200, Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom>
wrote:

> Seems the biggest issue with this is finding the right controller, with
> enough memory/ability to expand it, and *then* figuring out how to
> attach the bloody parts to it. lol Going to need to do some thinking on
> this...

i-phone?
B)

-nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 Nov 2010 08:53:50
Message: <4cde986e@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Trying to decide, already, what to do about Halloween next year.
> Considering "improving" my Jedi costume and one thing I thought about
> adding is "electrobinoculars".

  Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjP2ginWZLg

  (Although one could ask what does it mean when a boy wants to dress up
like a woman...)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Nov 2010 17:27:24
Message: <4ce0624c$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/13/2010 12:25 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 06:34:47 +0200, Patrick Elliott
> <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
>
>> Seems the biggest issue with this is finding the right controller,
>> with enough memory/ability to expand it, and *then* figuring out how
>> to attach the bloody parts to it. lol Going to need to do some
>> thinking on this...
>>
> i-phone?
> B)
>
> -nekar Xenos-
Uh, don't think so.. lol For one, it only processes one image source,
and two, it probably costs about 50 times what off the shelf parts
would. ;) lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Nov 2010 02:37:38
Message: <4ce0e342$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/14/2010 3:27 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On 11/13/2010 12:25 AM, Nekar Xenos wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 06:34:47 +0200, Patrick Elliott
>> <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
>>
>>> Seems the biggest issue with this is finding the right controller,
>>> with enough memory/ability to expand it, and *then* figuring out how
>>> to attach the bloody parts to it. lol Going to need to do some
>>> thinking on this...
>>>
>> i-phone?
>> B)
>>
>> -nekar Xenos-
> Uh, don't think so.. lol For one, it only processes one image source,
> and two, it probably costs about 50 times what off the shelf parts
> would. ;) lol

Had to head to work, so.. now going to be more specific. As I understand
the issue, the CCD is tied to a "driver". This basically works like the
reverse of what the LCD would do, where you poll the device for the
data. I am not sure how complex the polling is, but with the LCD at
least you have basically a memory that tracks the "state" of the pixels,
and a bus, which you pump data into, based on a set of coordinates for
the data in the memory. At least, I assume this is more or less the way
pixel ones work, since the one I read up on was a text display (so,
obviously a bit different). Either that, or you ping the driver and it
dumps the whole block of image data to your controller's input bus. This
means you are either driving directly from a bus, or you *might* if it
is something like a web cam, driving a USB from the bus, which then
talks to the camera's driver. Either way, before you can alter the
image, or even just move it over to the output display, you need to
store the total pixels "in memory", for the microcontroller, before
passing this to your LCD driver, what ever it then does with it. For a
"cheapish" camera, that is 1MB+- per frame, you are pulling in two
frames, one for each camera, changing the result, with fonts or the
like, to add hatch marks, range, etc., like a real one would show on its
display, then feeding that out to the LCD. Figure.. At least 2MB, not
including "software" to run the program that pulls the image, blits data
to it, then passes it on to the next stage. Oh, and some additional code
(maybe), to handle when to do the "software" zoom, control the motors to
move the physical system, and what ever else you may need to do.
Figure.. for good measure you might want at least 4MB, minimum. Most of
them support up to 512*k*, and its not clear how/if they even allow you
to tack on more memory.

And, as I said, existing designs do not support more than one camera
input, like your existing cameras, cells phones, etc. Though.. I suppose
if you wanted to spend idiot amounts of cash, you could buy one of the
new 3D cameras... :p

Almost be easier to take a newer, faster, lower power, 65C816 chip, and
"build" something with enough memory. At least I would understand the
damn machine code in one of the things. lol

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();