POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Optics : Re: Optics Server Time
3 Sep 2024 15:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Optics
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Nov 2010 11:25:14
Message: <4cdd6a6a$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/12/2010 6:31 AM, scott wrote:
>> Now, the trick is, if I can figure out how, I plan to find two LCDs,
>> of some sort, of the same type/size, and have them for left and right
>> eyes.
>
> I'd get two of those webcam telescopes, plug them into a small laptop
> you're carrying on your back, and output the combined image to a small
> LCD monitor covering both eyes. You won't be able to place the LCD too
> close to your eyes (think 15 cm or less) otherwise you'll get a headache
> very quickly. Something like a 7 or 8" widescreen LCD should work. Not
> sure how you plan to house everything, it might end up looking a bit
> bulky unless you can do something clever with mirrors.

Well, making a "small" slim design is likely to be problematic, however
the ones from episode IV where rather bulky to start with. Something
between the two would probably be doable. Had considered using a wide
screen LCD too, but not sure of the odds of finding one on the cheap
(where is working ones from otherwise dead devices, including maybe even
old cell phones, in a smaller size, is likely easier). The laptop would
certainly be easier from the standpoint of coding, but it should be
possible to stick an Arduino or the like into a semi-bulky case, and
program it to do what is needed. Telescopes are and interesting idea..
One of the things I wasn't too sure of with using a check binocular was
"range" of magnification. A telescope might have more.

As for distance to eyes on the screens, if the design was made "close"
to the one in the movie, but maybe a bit less bulky, then "view" end
would have a few inches between eyes and screens anyway.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();