POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone4 component costs Server Time
3 Sep 2024 19:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  iPhone4 component costs (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: scott
Subject: iPhone4 component costs
Date: 14 Oct 2010 07:02:46
Message: <4cb6e356@news.povray.org>
Interesting, the cost breakdown to make an iPhone:

http://tinyurl.com/28v49e8

Somewhere else (I lost it now) they mention assembly costs are around $9.50.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: iPhone4 component costs
Date: 14 Oct 2010 07:37:34
Message: <4cb6eb7e$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/10/2010 12:02 PM, scott wrote:
> Interesting, the cost breakdown to make an iPhone:

Interesting indeed.

I note that with all the sophisticated technology in this device, the
single most expensive component is... the display?! (And that's not even
including the touch feature, just the actual display itself.) Closely
followed by... the flash RAM?? Everything else is peanuts compared to
these two items.

I'm quite surprised at how cheap some of the items are. You would have
thought the processor would be expensive... but no. (The RAM is more
expensive than the CPU?!) You would have thought the 5 megapixel camera
would be expensive... but no. You would have thought the custom battery
would be expensive... but yet again, no.

I'm also surprised at just how cheap the casing is; you would have
thought making something that can survive being sat on, dropped on the
pavement, rained on or flushed down a toilet would be very expensive.
But apparently not.

(Strictly, they list the cost of the materials, not the cost of actually
assembling them.)

I also note with some amusement that it has a 960x640 pixel screen.
That's slightly higher than the Amiga 1200 "Super-Hires Interlaced"
video mode, at 960x480 visible pixels. (Well what did you expect with <

that includes the backlight...)

Post a reply to this message

> I note that with all the sophisticated technology in this device, the
> single most expensive component is... the display?!

It's a nice display though :-)

> I'm also surprised at just how cheap the casing is; you would have thought
> making something that can survive being sat on, dropped on the pavement,
> rained on or flushed down a toilet would be very expensive. But apparently
> not.

Those parts are typically quite cheap to produce in high volume, once you
have the tooling done it's just injecting cheap plastic into a mould or
cutting and folding sheets of cheap metal.

> (Strictly, they list the cost of the materials, not the cost of actually
> assembling them.)

The list is the amount you pay to buy those components (which includes the
sub-assembly needed for those individual components), on top of that price
there is about another $10 to assemble that lot together into an iPhone.

Post a reply to this message

>> I note that with all the sophisticated technology in this device, the
>> single most expensive component is... the display?!
>
> It's a nice display though :-)

I saw an iPhone in real life for the very first time on Saturday. It is
actually a nice display. If you can see through all the fingerprints. ;-)

>> I'm also surprised at just how cheap the casing is; you would have
>> thought making something that can survive being sat on, dropped on the
>> pavement, rained on or flushed down a toilet would be very expensive.
>> But apparently not.
>
> Those parts are typically quite cheap to produce in high volume, once
> you have the tooling done it's just injecting cheap plastic into a mould
> or cutting and folding sheets of cheap metal.

If metal and plastic are "cheap", then why does everything get made out
of the most skimpy amounts of material the manufacturers can get away
with so that it's only just barely strong enough to not break?

>> (Strictly, they list the cost of the materials, not the cost of
>> actually assembling them.)
>
> The list is the amount you pay to buy those components (which includes
> the sub-assembly needed for those individual components), on top of that
> price there is about another $10 to assemble that lot together into an
> iPhone.

Now, see, I would have thought just surface-mounting the 2,157
individual resistors would cost more than $10... But what do I know
about anything?

Post a reply to this message

> If metal and plastic are "cheap", then why does everything get made out of
> the most skimpy amounts of material the manufacturers can get away with so
> that it's only just barely strong enough to not break?

Why waste money making it stronger and thicker than it reasonably needs to
be?  Even just 5 or 10 cents extra spent on each iPhone would equal quite a
big amount of money overall.

> Now, see, I would have thought just surface-mounting the 2,157 individual
> resistors would cost more than $10... But what do I know about anything?

I suspect the cost of mounting the resistors can be worked out by the
depreciation of the SMD mounting machines over the lifetime of the product,
plus the cost of running the machine.  It's surely not very much though,
given that you can buy loads of consumer devices with populated PCBs inside
them for well under $10.

Post a reply to this message