POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone4 component costs : Re: iPhone4 component costs Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPhone4 component costs
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 21 Oct 2010 08:33:19
Message: <4cc0330f@news.povray.org>
On 10/14/2010 9:46 AM, scott wrote:

> On our boards nearly all of the discrete components are part of the
> power supply or to round off the data signals to improve EMI/EMC
> performance.

[A large chunk of this response is mostly directed at invisible]

Right. Filtering the signals. Caps are used a lot of time in digital
circuits to prevent switching noise from corrupting signals via ground.
When some digital circuits (TTL in particular) switch they create a lot
of noise on the ground plane that must be dealt with. Too much
fluctuation between power and ground, and the circuit begins to behave
erratically. Also, its a good idea to limit current. Resistors are used
to stabilize signals, pull up or pull down an input or output, bleed off
excess voltage so FETs don't retain a charge, etc... You need RC
networks to run a clock crystal, etc... Just connecting together a pile
of digital components won't work. You need supporting components to make
sure everything is stable in the system, especially when dealing with
large-scale digital systems like an iPhone. Keep in mind, that device is
also going to require a oscillators and filters for the RF parts, as well.

It gets even more interesting when you start dealing with designing
circuit boards, where you actively need to avoid traces from running
parallel to each other for too much distance, lest they build a
parasitic capacitance between them. In systems with very tight voltage
and current tolerances, the length of traces and thickness of traces
becomes very important as well. Traces can also act as inductors.

Some of the discrete components may be in there to also counteract some
of these effects caused by the traces themselves on the board. You'll
notice caps and resistors will often be very close to the pins of an IC
to minimize any effect the circuit trace may have.

--
~Mike