POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone4 component costs : Re: iPhone4 component costs Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPhone4 component costs
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Oct 2010 07:37:34
Message: <4cb6eb7e$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/10/2010 12:02 PM, scott wrote:
> Interesting, the cost breakdown to make an iPhone:

Interesting indeed.

I note that with all the sophisticated technology in this device, the
single most expensive component is... the display?! (And that's not even
including the touch feature, just the actual display itself.) Closely
followed by... the flash RAM?? Everything else is peanuts compared to
these two items.

I'm quite surprised at how cheap some of the items are. You would have
thought the processor would be expensive... but no. (The RAM is more
expensive than the CPU?!) You would have thought the 5 megapixel camera
would be expensive... but no. You would have thought the custom battery
would be expensive... but yet again, no.

I'm also surprised at just how cheap the casing is; you would have
thought making something that can survive being sat on, dropped on the
pavement, rained on or flushed down a toilet would be very expensive.
But apparently not.

(Strictly, they list the cost of the materials, not the cost of actually
assembling them.)

I also note with some amusement that it has a 960x640 pixel screen.
That's slightly higher than the Amiga 1200 "Super-Hires Interlaced"
video mode, at 960x480 visible pixels. (Well what did you expect with <

that includes the backlight...)