POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPhone4 component costs : Re: iPhone4 component costs Server Time
3 Sep 2024 17:11:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPhone4 component costs
From: scott
Date: 14 Oct 2010 08:32:56
Message: <4cb6f878$1@news.povray.org>
> I note that with all the sophisticated technology in this device, the
> single most expensive component is... the display?!

It's a nice display though :-)

> I'm also surprised at just how cheap the casing is; you would have thought
> making something that can survive being sat on, dropped on the pavement,
> rained on or flushed down a toilet would be very expensive. But apparently
> not.

Those parts are typically quite cheap to produce in high volume, once you
have the tooling done it's just injecting cheap plastic into a mould or
cutting and folding sheets of cheap metal.

> (Strictly, they list the cost of the materials, not the cost of actually
> assembling them.)

The list is the amount you pay to buy those components (which includes the
sub-assembly needed for those individual components), on top of that price
there is about another $10 to assemble that lot together into an iPhone.