POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  A random wondering of my own... (Message 10 to 19 of 109)
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: A random wondering of my own...
Date: 18 Jul 2010 13:30:17
Message: <4c433a29$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> (At 1:25): "And yet many evolutionists would have us believe that in the
> name of science: There was no creator, no space, no energy, no matter, there
> was nothing, and then there was this big bang and out came the sea and the
> land..."

I'm not sure I see anything in this quote which implies that the big
bang is part of evolution.  The most natural interpretation seems to be
that "evolutionist" is used as a blanket term which can be used as a
label for one who holds a set of related viewpoints of which evolution
need only be a part.

But don't take my word for it.  About 10 seconds of Google leads to the
Conservapedia article on Evolutionism, which seems like a pretty
reasonable place to learn what the people who actually use the term
"Evolutionist" seriously think it means.  Here's one quote:

---

"Biblical Young Earth Creationists hold both terms in philosophically
equal light, up to a certain point. They would say that the term
"Evolutionism" has the same or very similar meaning to "Creationism" as
it relates to a supposed philosophical/foundational starting point or
question (does God exist?). They say the term "Evolutionism" refers to a
subset of a combination of world views, while the scientific theory of
evolution is the result of the Evolutionist presupposition. In other
words, they say that Evolutionism is the collective world view behind
the scientific theory of evolution. However, that's where the
similarities end with Creationism."

and another:

"Some Creationists point out that they see various religious aspects,
not in the theory of evolution itself (although they don't exclude that
necessarily), but in the Evolutionists themselves"

And another:

"Evolutionism is a world-view, which seeks to explain every aspect of
this world in which we live. It encompasses a wide variety of topics,
from astronomy to chemistry to biology. At its core, it teaches that
there were different stages in the evolution of our universe."

---

Now, I'm sure not every bozo who owns a blog or who can post a youtube
video has bothered even considering these points, or learning what
evolution actually is, but I don't think that sort of ignorance is
limited just to Creationists, but rather it's just the sort of thing
that you now expect in any argument on the internet.

Also, this marks the first time I have ever seriously linked to
Conservapedia as a reference, and it is feels sort of strange.

Post a reply to this message