POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A random wondering of my own... : Re: A random wondering of my own... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A random wondering of my own...
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 19 Jul 2010 14:04:31
Message: <4c4493af@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
>> the dinosaurs "must" have all drowned in a giant flood
>
>   Not if you believe Kent Hovind, who claims that dinosarus didn't go extint
> at all, but there are specimens alive even today (and no, he's not talking
> about birds, but actual cretaceous period dinosaurs). His arguments are,
> basically a combination of cryptozoology, taking known hoaxes at face value,
> as well as an outright conspiracy theory (about scientists ignoring and
> destroying evidence because dinosaurs being alive would, according to Hovind,
> somehow discredit evolution, even though he doesn't explain why).

To be fair, AFAIK even most young-earth creationists think that Kent
Hovind is a bit of a nut and people shouldn't pay much attention to him.

>   Btw, does someone know how Young Earth creationists explain what killed
> all the trilobites?

I don't think there's really a standard and excepted explanation for
this, but the most common seems to be that the flood resulted not just
in water, but also in a great deal of ocean volcanic activity, as
perhaps hinted to in the line:

"on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth"

Thus the extinction is attributed to massive water turbulence, changes
in temperature, change in water salinity, etc.  I believe the thought is
that some sea creatures (like fish and whales) were able to survive
through this while others weren't.

It's also worth noting that in this particular case there isn't an
accepted scientific (as in real scientific, not creation-scientific)
explanation as to why trilobites went extinct either, so it's probably
not the best example of a question to stump creationists on.