POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feel the beat Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Feel the beat (Message 51 to 60 of 90)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: Re: Feel the beat
Date: 20 Jul 2010 10:05:00
Message: <web.4c45abde4a2695b16dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolDOTcom> wrote:

> >> You missed out "It won't hurt much".
> >
> >    Why would it hurt at all?
> >

> I was thinking of it as a pressure point, not comfortable.

The slap might hurt, though.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Jul 2010 10:25:31
Message: <4c45b1db$1@news.povray.org>
>>>   Try regular daily exercise.
>
>> Yeah, that would be a start...
>
>> Then again, I've reached the point now where I take up to 4 hours of
>> dance classes per week. (And 3 hours of that is Rock & Roll.) Obviously
>> [or perhaps not?] a one hour class isn't a continuous one hour workout.
>> You stand around waiting for whoever to sort out the next CD. You
>> practice a move through, stop, try it again, stop and try again. You
>> dance a combination of moves and then have a rest. Still, it's certainly
>> better than nothing.
>
>   Sounds like much better than nothing, but if you really want to get into
> better shape in a rational amount of time, you need that (about) 1 hour of
> cardio 5 or 6 times a week (preferably 6).

Heh. Maybe all I need to do is go outside and dance Tiger Feet for a
while each night I'm not at class? ;-)

(Tiger Feet is a simple yet energetic dance. I imagine it's probably
about as effective as doing star jumps for a while, while being less
dull - mainly due to the presence of Mud.)

>   Walking is good exercise because it's easy to do even for someone who is
> in bad shape, and doesn't require a lot of fitness to begin with. As long
> as you walking pace is fast enough (you get a bit exhausted and break a
> sweat) it's as good as going to the gym.

I've always been a sprint runner, not long distance. At school, I could
sprint extremely fast, but I almost couldn't finish a 100m sprint due to
lack of energy.

I have quite literally *no idea* how I survived Saturday night. Usually
when I dance it takes me ages to recover. But on Saturday night, I
danced and danced and danced and danced. And, more to the point, I
didn't feel tired. Even when I got home at, like, 1am, you'd *think* I
would be half asleep and my legs would be like lead. But no, I was wide
awake, I was dancing drop-basics on my way from the car to the front
door, I was hoping and skipping. I was *psyched*! I have no idea how the
hell I did that...

I do quite often go for a walk in my lunch break at work. Trouble is, I
*can't* break into a sweat, because I've got to sit at my desk for the
rest of the day. Besides, I find that if I walk fast, long before I get
breathless or sweaty, I get crippling cramps in my legs, particularly my
calf muscles.

>>>   (For most optimal results, you would have to start also watching a bit
>>> what you eat. More proteins and fibers, less carbs, more plant fats and
>>> less animal fats.)
>
>> ...so, *not* cheese on toast then?
>
>   Cheese is ok (lots of protein, no carbs), but of course in moderation,
> as everything else. Toast is usually made of white bread, which has
> staggering amounts of carbohydrates. If it's basically the *only* source
> of carbs you have (ie. you don't eat candy and such), then it's ok, but
> don't exaggerate.
>
>   From your photos I don't think you are overweight, so you don't have to
> watch so much your carb intake, as long as your diet is *balanced* and
> healthy. Just don't go overboard. Eating candy and pastries all day long
> is a bad idea no matter what your weight or fitness. (If nothing else, too
> much sugar increases the risk of diabetes and caries, and via that indirectly
> heart problems.)

My diet consists mainly of cheese sandwiches, cheese on toast, pizza,
pasta and chicken.

Around 2009, my weight suddenly started increasing for no apparent
reason. (The only lifestyle change I can think of is that that's when I
started dancing.) Now half my trousers don't fit any more. But beyond
that, I'm still the stick insect I always was.

Oh, and I was fairly recently poked and prodded by a doctor because I
kept having random chest pains. We determined fairly comprehensively
that whatever the problem was, it wasn't heart-related.

Never the less, sitting motionless until your legs actually hurt from
lack of bloodflow surely can't be healthy...

Post a reply to this message