POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things you can't Google Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Things you can't Google (Message 41 to 50 of 54)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Things you can't Google
Date: 17 Jul 2010 11:50:33
Message: <4c41d149$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> That's really quite a lot to take in... o_O

You have 20 years of living in the culture to figure it out. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    C# - a language whose greatest drawback

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Jul 2010 13:00:40
Message: <4c41e1b8$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:08:59 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> I recall at uni there were certain books that they said you should
>>> buy.
>>>
>>> Or you could just get them out of the uni library for nothing. Well,
>>> duh.
>>
>> Yeah, unless it's a classroom textbook - the library isn't likely to
>> keep 100+ copies of it on the shelves....
>
> Maybe it's just the uni I went to. The largest class in the entire uni
> was, like, 70 people or something.

That's still more copies than a library is likely to keep on hand.

> I remember when we did object-oriented analysis and design, we were all
> ordered to go buy the UML book. I thought "hey, I'll just get it from
> the library". I found the shelf... and it was bare.

Exactly my point. :-)

> Two weeks later, I tried to get the book, and there was at least 30
> copies. But then, as I quickly discovered, the book was useless anyway!
> ;-)

Perhaps nobody was using it at the time (that'd be my guess) - but if
everyone had to do an assignment from it at the same time, there'd be a
problem.

Where I went to uni, classes were duplicated as well, so while class
sizes topped out at about 70 (like yours), there were 3 different times
the class was offered, which would be 210 students max.

Jim

Post a reply to this message