POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Things you can't Google : Re: Things you can't Google Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Things you can't Google
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 19 Jul 2010 09:57:09
Message: <op.vf3fphmvmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 18:00:45 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake thusly:

> Warp wrote:
>> the government provides the students with the material they need
>
> Interestingly, my understanding is that "school uniforms" are usually
> *not* paid for by the government, and the point of the uniforms is to
> avoid distinguishing wealthy from poor. If everyone buys the same
> clothes, there's no way to have a status symbol your parents bought for
> you in that way.
>
> I may be completely mistaken about this, mind.

In theory that's partially correct, however there are normally only two
unique items in a uniform - the tie and a school patch. Everything else is
generic and just states 'shirt - blue/white, trousers/skirt - black' so
you'll still get some kids turning up in Asda/Wal-Mart trousers and some
in designer ones.

As for the unique items it's often a single store that's given permission
to sell them and as a result they can charge what they like knowing the
parents have to buy them. I was speaking to a parent who complained they
didn't sell a patch itself, just the jackets with the badge already
affixed and the silly money they wanted for it compared to a supermarket
own-brand jacket.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com