POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Matters of the heart Server Time
4 Sep 2024 03:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  Matters of the heart (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Matters of the heart
Date: 7 Jul 2010 09:12:34
Message: <4c347d42$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/7/2010 3:17 AM, Invisible wrote:

> Heh. I'm "interested" in many, many topics. Fractals, data compression,
> encryption, statistics, artificial intelligence, digital signal
> processing, sound synthesis, logic design, biology, evolotion... the
> list goes on.
>
> The GHC User Manual has a section "for over-interested souls". I think
> this is possibly the term that describes me...

Yeah, describes me to a tee as well. Add chemistry and quantum physics
on top of that.

>>> In other news, I spent a really absurd amount of time on Wikipedia. o_O
>>
>> I think we noticed, and on WA.
>
> Ah WA... Very cool, but not especially useful. Like the data glove, it
> seems to be a solution in search of a problem.

Indeed. Quite a fun toy, though.

--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 7 Jul 2010 10:00:04
Message: <4c348864$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. I'm "interested" in many, many topics. Fractals, data compression,
>> encryption, statistics, artificial intelligence, digital signal
>> processing, sound synthesis, logic design, biology, evolotion... the
>> list goes on.
>>
>> The GHC User Manual has a section "for over-interested souls". I think
>> this is possibly the term that describes me...
>
> Yeah, describes me to a tee as well. Add chemistry and quantum physics
> on top of that.

Dude, this is povray.off-topic, the off-topic forum for users of a
Turing-complete ray tracer that supports implicit surfaces and
volumetric sampling of user-defined functions. I think "over-interested
souls" probably covers the entire damned group! ;-)

And I could add chemistry, electronics, and a whole bunch of other stuff
too. It's just that eventually you have to stop typing.

>> Ah WA... Very cool, but not especially useful. Like the data glove, it
>> seems to be a solution in search of a problem.
>
> Indeed. Quite a fun toy, though.

For sure. Although it seems to be extremely good at utterly failing to
comprehend what you mean.

Also, and this is the annoying part, WA is supposed to be this
"revolutionary" system that will "make everything computable for
anybody". The trouble is, it's powered by Mathematica, Wolfram's

result, WA is deliberately crippled (i.e., it won't answer certain
questions even though it could) in order to force you to buy Mathematica.

My personal feeling is that they should add a "pro" version for money
that *does* solve every problem that the backend engine can handle. And
then, instead of saying "WA doesn't know what to do with your input", it
should actually *say* "you need the pro version to do that".

But anyway, flames aside...

Post a reply to this message