POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting performance paper Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Interesting performance paper (Message 30 to 39 of 39)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Interesting performance paper
Date: 15 Jun 2010 13:11:11
Message: <4c17b42f@news.povray.org>
>>> What makes you think nobody has done this?
>>
>> Au contrare, what makes you think that somebody *has* done this?
>
> Well, two gig is a bit high, but several hundred meg is not uncommon.

Like I said, it seems there's a relationship between capacity and speed,
such that by the time you get to this size, there wouldn't be much speed
advantage to putting it on-chip.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 15 Jun 2010 14:46:29
Message: <4c17ca85@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Like I said, it seems there's a relationship between capacity and speed,
> such that by the time you get to this size, there wouldn't be much speed
> advantage to putting it on-chip.

In all the cases I know about, the problem was not that, but that there was
a concern that there was a cap on the amount of memory.

Either you need X meg of memory to do what your chip is designed to do, or
you want an arbitrary "lots" of memory. (E.g., you're either building a
phone that doesn't run apps not installed when you built it, or you want to
run as many apps at once as you want.)  If you ever want to add RAM, you
need to have the interface stuff for it anyway.  If you don't ever want to
add RAM, chances are you don't need more than a few hundred meg to support
your single-chip application.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly

Post a reply to this message