POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting performance paper : Re: Interesting performance paper Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting performance paper
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jun 2010 16:18:36
Message: <4c17e01c$1@news.povray.org>
>> Now, when your program is actively *using* several GB of RAM... that's
>> not so fun. (!!)
>
> Photoshop did this ... I was building an image out of a stack of shots
> with several shots at full resolution 16-bit per channel color. The
> algorithm that determines which parts were in sharpest focus apparently
> set out to spread itself out as much as possible in memory.
>
> I walked away for a few minutes after starting the process, came back
> and tried to switch to my browser, and found the system unresponsive. It
> stayed that way for about 30 min before task manager finally appeared.
> Again, 10GB of memory, but actively working with that 10GB. I had other
> stuff I hadn't saved yet, and wanted a chance to save, so I waited ....
> before I killed PS.

Pff. Accidentally write some Haskell code with the wrong strictness
properties and watch it swallow several *hundred* GB by mistake... It's
not even funny.

Usually very easy to kill though, if that's any consolation. (The key,
as I said, is to set the maximum heap size to something smaller than
physical RAM - especially if you know your program isn't supposed to
need lots of RAM anyway...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/