POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting performance paper : Re: Interesting performance paper Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting performance paper
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Jun 2010 15:07:05
Message: <4c17cf59@news.povray.org>
On 6/14/2010 2:29 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>
>> BTW, it's not harddrive life that worries me in such situations, but
>> the bare struggle to get the system's attention back. Try killing a
>> swapping-mad program when it keeps thrashing the task manager out of
>> main memory... >_<
>
> Heh. Fun... Actually, the one I usually have trouble with is Alt+Tab
> from a game back to the Windows desktop. Takes several lifetimes in both
> directions. No idea why.
>
> One thing I discovered back at uni: If your Java program accidentally
> goes into an infinite loop, it dies almost instantly with a stack
> overflow. If your Smalltalk program accidentally loops forever, it's
> usually a few minutes before you realise that it's actually filling the
> entire VM address space with garbage. Now try stopping it. :-)

You can do it in C#, too .. I forget exactly what I was writing, but I
threw something into an infinite loop that allocated objects and added
them to a list. A split second after I hit F5 to run the program, I
realized my mistake. That was enough time for it to allocate some 4GB of
memory, By the time I reacted to stop the program it had ballooned up to
10GB.

64 bit is great, but try dealing with that sort of memory stress (My
system has 4GB of memory ...)

--
~Mike