POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting performance paper : Re: Interesting performance paper Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting performance paper
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Jun 2010 16:15:31
Message: <4c17df63$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/15/2010 2:09 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Now, when your program is actively *using* several GB of RAM... that's
> not so fun. (!!)

Photoshop did this ... I was building an image out of a stack of shots
with several shots at full resolution 16-bit per channel color. The
algorithm that determines which parts were in sharpest focus apparently
set out to spread itself out as much as possible in memory.

I walked away for a few minutes after starting the process, came back
and tried to switch to my browser, and found the system unresponsive. It
stayed that way for about 30 min before task manager finally appeared.
Again, 10GB of memory, but actively working with that 10GB. I had other
stuff I hadn't saved yet, and wanted a chance to save, so I waited ....
before I killed PS.

--
~Mike