POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? (Message 1 to 10 of 108)
From: scott
Subject: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
Date: 7 Jun 2010 04:26:53
Message: <4c0cad4d@news.povray.org>
(Note left/right here is for driving on the right, for driving on the left
countries reverse the left/rights).

Here we have two important rules for multi-lane roads, one is that you
should only move out to the left to overtake someone, and secondly you are
not allowed to pass anyone on the right side (there are some exceptions for
queues etc).  I know it's not like this in all countries.

As anyone who has driven probably knows already, the problem comes when
someone stays in the left lane when they are not overtaking anyone and you
want to go faster than them.  What are you meant to do if you are behind
them in this situation?  What if you are directly behind in the same lane,
or what if you approach them in the right lane?

I always wanted to ask someone in authority this question as appears there
is no perfect option.

For me I usually wait around 5 seconds behind them in the same lane, then
usually pull over to the right lane and wait there for a further 5-10
seconds leaving them plenty of space to pull over if they want.  If they
still do not move then I usually accelerate and swiftly pass on the right
being ready to move over into the hard shoulder if they suddenly decide to
change lanes.

My girlfriend says that I should flash them and not overtake on the right,
but IME this is easily interpretted as quite aggressive behaviour and could
lead to more problems (eg them still not moving over or even worse
deliberate braking or other aggressive behaviour).

What do you do?

Post a reply to this message

> My girlfriend says that I should flash them and not overtake on the
> right, but IME this is easily interpretted as quite aggressive behaviour
> and could lead to more problems (eg them still not moving over or even
> worse deliberate braking or other aggressive behaviour).
>
> What do you do?

IMO your girlfriend is right, undertaking is wrong. It seems the fashion
ATM is to indicate you are going to overtake and if the driver is nor
paying attention a short flash of your headlights generally does the trick.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message