POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 7 Jun 2010 06:00:00
Message: <web.4c0cc140b36819a6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolDOTcom> wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 9:26 AM, scott wrote:
> >
> > My girlfriend says that I should flash them and not overtake on the
> > right, but IME this is easily interpretted as quite aggressive behaviour
> > and could lead to more problems (eg them still not moving over or even
> > worse deliberate braking or other aggressive behaviour).
> >
> > What do you do?
>
> IMO your girlfriend is right, undertaking is wrong. It seems the fashion
> ATM is to indicate you are going to overtake and if the driver is nor
> paying attention a short flash of your headlights generally does the trick.

While I agree that undertaking is against the rules, I tend to do pretty much
what Scott does. Except that I keep going without any change in my speed, albeit
with a greater degree of alertness for sudden feckless lane-changes. My
reasoning is that it's probably safer to undertake than attempt multiple
lane-changes on a busy road (no other sort around here!)... and you never know,
maybe a 20-year-old 1.1L banger undertaking them will make it even more obvious
that they're in the wrong lane... :)

I strongly suspect that in the majority of cases, it is not simple
absent-mindedness but a deep-seated and utter lack of a) understanding of the
rules and b) common sense. MI5-issue wheel-laser on order.

Bill