POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Alan Wake, AAARGH! (Message 71 to 80 of 121)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
Date: 10 Jun 2010 04:40:57
Message: <4c10a519@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Ok, this is a bit hard to confess, but I sold myself out, so to speak,
> kind of. I went and bought an Xbox 360.

But the big question is... IS ALAN WAKE ANY GOOD??? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 10 Jun 2010 06:28:52
Message: <op.vd2x2oikmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:50:05 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake thusly:

>   Ok, this is a bit hard to confess, but I sold myself out, so to speak,
> kind of. I went and bought an Xbox 360.

Scab! Heh. OOC why the Xbox and not the PS3? I'm not fan-boying or
anything I'm genuinely curious.

<snip>

> in and play without having to worry at all about crashes, graphics
> settings,
> latest drivers and whether your PC will be able to run it at all.

Which is why I made the leap some time ago.

> Microsoft
> has also made a quite good work at demanding game developers to minimize
> difference: Sometimes Xbox 360 games seem to load from the DVD *faster*
> than they seem to load from the HD in the PC, as incredible as that might
> sound... (I don't really understand how they succeed in this, and why
> they
> don't use the same technique in the Windows ports of the games, when they
> exist.)

Yeah as has been mentioned it's the fixed hardware. I was reading
something from a developer about how all the processes in the game has a
timing constraint  - this, this and this have to be done in this time in
order for the screen to be redrawn. If you don't know the throughputs for
the hardware it's more difficult to tweak.

>   Of course there are drawbacks too. For one, games deliberately have no
> support for mouse and keyboard, even though the console would support
> them
> (eg. you can plug in an USB keyboard and use it to write in the
> dashboard;
> I'm assuming supporting USB mice is there or at least would be equally
> easy).

And that's the stupid thing about the PS3 you *can* use a keyboard and
mouse (bluetooth and usb), but the games themselves have to accept their
input to work. Not counting some of the old PS1/PS2 games I think only
Unreal Tournament had this support, maddening.

> That means no FPS games for me. (Yes, I tried a few demos, and they were
> next to impossible to play.) AFAIK this is a deliberate guideline by
> Microsoft
> (or at least it was for the Xbox).

Keep at it. It still won't be as good as with a mouse, but it won't be
impossible.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

> Keep at it. It still won't be as good as with a mouse, but it won't be
> impossible.

As usual I have a cool idea, google it, and find someone else has already
done it:

http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm

Post a reply to this message

And lo On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:48:26 +0100, scott <sco### [at] scottcom> did
spake thusly:

>> Keep at it. It still won't be as good as with a mouse, but it won't be
>> impossible.
>
> As usual I have a cool idea, google it, and find someone else has
> already done it:
>
> http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm

There's some out for the PS3 too, which is hilarious for obvious reasons.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>> As usual I have a cool idea, google it, and find someone else has
>> already done it:
>>
>> http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm
>
> There's some out for the PS3 too, which is hilarious for obvious reasons.

Clearly I'm missing something...

Post a reply to this message

>>> As usual I have a cool idea, google it, and find someone else has
>>> already done it:
>>>
>>> http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm
>>
>> There's some out for the PS3 too, which is hilarious for obvious reasons.
>
> Clearly I'm missing something...

Me too.

Post a reply to this message