POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Not a geek (Message 200 to 209 of 259)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Not a geek
Date: 14 May 2010 23:39:51
Message: <4bee1787$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Not really, a party line is many-to-many, but multicast is one-to-many.

If someone in a multicast domain sends a multicast packet, it'll go to
everyone on the LAN and downstream from there.

But the real answer is that IP multicast doesn't describe how to route the
packet other than point to point. IP multicast is between routers. The
mechanism for getting from the last router to the individual host clients
isn't specified and depends on the underlying technology. If the underlying
network between client machines on the subnet doesn't do true broadcasting,
you're going to wind up repeating the packet on the subnets too.

So it's not really a valid comparison.  IP broadcast only works when the
underlying network supports it, so it's still point to point.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid

Post a reply to this message