POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Invisible
Date: 17 May 2010 04:11:27
Message: <4bf0fa2f@news.povray.org>

>>> So is TCP.  It's connection-oriented, except for the D-channel, which
>>> is datagram oriented.
>>
>> My point being, ISDN lets you put a cable between two nodes. If you
>> want to talk to a different node, you have to plug in a different cable.
>
> So there's only one possible ISP you can use over ISDN? There's only one
> person you can call on ISDN?
>
> Since one of the nodes on the cable is a switch connected to a
> world-wide network, I don't really see your point.

My point is that ISDN is a point-to-point system, so it doesn't have a
concept of network addresses. When there are only 2 nodes in the system,
you don't need addresses; if machine A talks, it can only be talking to
machine B.

Having a global network without addresses doesn't really work.

And that's kind of my point: All the other network systems were designed
for networks that are "small", where it's feasible to keep track of all
the addresses by hand. None of them really supported having several
networks connected together, managed independently.