POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 May 2010 13:52:09
Message: <4beedf49$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 May 2010 20:00:11 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Assuming the switch isn't multicast aware.  I wouldn't be surprised if
>> some were these days (but I haven't looked at it recently).
>
> Um, no. Even so.
>
> If you have one cable coming into the university campus, and a network
> for each building, the router is going to have to send the packets to
> each building, duplicating the packets, regardless of how "aware" anyone
> is.

Yes, but that's not a 1:1 transmission (compared to the receiving
clients).

>> The difference between, for example,
>> using unicast to push an image down to 15 workstations on a subnet and
>> using multicast to push an image down to 15 workstations on a subnet is
>> a significant reduction in overall network traffic.
>
> Only for that one subnet.

The router is part of the subnet, though.  It retransmits upstream if the
TTL hasn't expired (and it's configured to do so).

> It's better than a unicast stream to each destination, yes. That doesn't
> mean IP isn't point-to-point, if you factor in the broadcast address as
> meaning "one subnet is the point."

That's a bit like saying shouting is point-to-point, though, because the
target "point" is a group.

Jim