POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Bl**dy election (part 2) (Message 356 to 365 of 365)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
Date: 13 May 2010 12:57:22
Message: <4bec2f72@news.povray.org>
On 13/05/2010 5:31 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> But the world will stop turning if we don’t have a government, so the
>> politicians say. :-P
>
> As opposed to California, where we have lots and lots of government, and
> they still manage to deadlock each other so much that the governator
> winds up giving out IOUs instead of paychecks to the employees.

Wasn’t California in danger of becoming bankrupt recently?

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 May 2010 13:01:20
Message: <4bec3060$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 May 2010 17:56:06 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 13/05/2010 5:29 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Thanks but I don’t know if congratulations are in order. ;-)
>>
>> Well, think of it this way - with Cameron as PM, he's got to make
>> several unpopular decisions, and according to at least one pundit (I
>> forget who), those decisions could well exclude that party from being
>> in power for more than 5 years. (The article my wife read suggested
>> that the winner wouldn't be in power for a generation after they got
>> done).
>>

> I think that that was Mervyn King the Governor of the Bank of England.
> And your wife is correct about being out of power for a generation.

Could be, that sounds familiar (I'd ask her, but she's off at a class at
the moment).

So there is a silver lining. :-)

>> So if you're not a fan of the Tories, this is a really good thing.
>>

> The 1st Duke of Wellington and the 2nd Earl Grey will be turning in
> their graves at the thought of the Whigs and Tories in coalition.

Well, yeah - I found *that* to be quite surprising, the Lib Dems and
Labor are a much more natural pairing (though that didn't make for a
majority either).  I think the Lib Dems have played this quite well, 20
cabinet seats and a fair amount of deniability for policies the Tories
put in place.

But I know that many in Scotland are apoplectic over the coalition.  That
can only help the SNP, right?  (I don't know enough about the SNP to know
if that's a good thing or not, but it *sounds* like it is).

>>> But the world will stop turning if we don’t have a government, so the
>>> politicians say. :-P
>>
>> Certainly their world will stop turning. ;-)
>>

> Especially if no one noticed.

LOL, too true.

Jim

Post a reply to this message