POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Bl**dy election (part 2) (Message 246 to 255 of 365)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
Date: 4 May 2010 08:10:03
Message: <4be00e9b@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   In fact, what I have done is to oppose the idea that law enforcement asking
> > random people for their ID

> Even that wouldn't raise the outcry we have here. But police aren't being
> told to check *random* people. They're not stopping every tenth person
> driving past, like they do with the sobriety checkpoints. They're stopping
> people who *look* like an illegal immigrant.

> They are using a profile. They aren't using "random". Stopping "random"
> people isn't anything to do with "If 90% of the lawbreakers are X, then you
> should check people who are X", regardless of what X is.

  This conversation is going in circles. If I dared to repeat my original
point once again, it would go on and on forever.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 4 May 2010 11:19:43
Message: <4be03b0f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> That provides the police with incentive to follow the rules.
>
>   But at what cost? They know that the person is a criminal who has harmed
> or will harm other people (or both),

At this point, so are the policemen.

And no, they don't know that. It hasn't been investigated. It's that whole
annoying innocent-until-proven-guilty thing we have going here. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)