POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Darren New
Date: 4 May 2010 11:23:40
Message: <4be03bfc$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   People are oversensitive whenever "race" comes into question. All I said
> is that if "race" *could* be used to catch criminals more efficiently, it
> would make sense to use it.

And where race can be used to catch criminals more efficiently, it is, and
it's legal. You gave similar examples yourself, where gender is used to
catch criminals more efficiently.  However, that's not what the rest of us
are talking about.

> However, even making such a suggestion seems to be a huge no no.

Because in the scenarios you're giving as examples, race can't be used that way.

>   But it really doesn't surprise me. When people see "race" and "statistics"
> and "criminals" in the same paragraph, they immediately see "racism, racism,
> racism, racism" and nothing else, and they start forming all kinds of
> preconceptions of what was *really* being said.

And that's because race is not a useful indicator of criminality before you
know about a specific crime and have some *evidence* that some specific
person of a specific race has committed that crime. Then you do a DNA test.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)