POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another philosophical religious thought... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Another philosophical religious thought... (Message 11 to 20 of 35)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: Another philosophical religious thought...
Date: 19 Apr 2010 18:47:16
Message: <4bccdd74$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Hmm. If you follow from your starting premise, maybe. The problem of
> course that (3) is in error anyway. You can *get* irreducible systems,
> without either needing them to be designed *or* previously existing.
> Basically, lets say that:
>
> GTG did something specific and unique, and so did GTT, but you can have
> mutations, like GTGG, or GTTT, GTGT, or even GTTG, which work like their
> original versions. So, lets say 's' counts as a stop. What you do is
> start with GTTs, make a copy GTTsGTTs, then you mutate it a few
> different ways:
> GTTsGTGs
> GTTsGTTGs
> GGTsGTTs
>
> The last one of those copies is defective, but you still have a working
> copy anyway, and it allows for later getting: GTGTsGTTs But, the GTGs
> version would be "irreducible", once other related genes become
> dependent on that form, causing the GTGTs and GTGGs, etc. versions to
> "break" the system.
>
> The trick here is, if you get several of these tweaks, which are
> inter-reliant, the *intermediary* versions may work with a larger number
> of variations and errors than the final version. At some point though,
> you are likely to run into dependency issues, where your GTGs, or
> variation **must** have that combination it in, to work with the other
> gene some place else, which underwent a similar change, and in the
> process produced new behaviors/functions.
>
> Of thousands of genes involving body plan, segmentation, symmetry, limb
> formation, etc., all of them are derived from a relatives *small* number
> of codes. In some cases the codes are nearly identical for the gene
> that, say, makes fingers grow, but the transcription and developmental
> code is different, producing a new pattern of growth. Other cases "both"
> the transcription/development code *and* the control genes differ, but
> they are still identifiably variations on existing genes, that do
> similar things. Any irreducibility seems to come from a duplicate copy
> changing, and linking up with other changes, to produce a unique result,
> then undergoing subtractions, which fail to disable the new effect, but
> which render reversal to an earlier form impossible.

So in essence you are arguing that any irreducible complexity was
preceded by reducible complexity.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 19 Apr 2010 19:26:44
Message: <4bcce6b4@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> We *were* created in His moral image, that of sinless perfection.

Obviously not.

Clearly it was sinful to disobey God, to realize that God was lying, and to
do both of these things without knowing they were sinful. If we were morally
sinlessly perfect, we wouldn't have original sin, now would we?

If we were created morally, sinlessly perfect, why would ever single human
being to ever live be sinful?  That's like saying "every single human being
stands over three meters tall, except those who are shorter, which is all of
them."

> all of us have blown it through sin.

Also, obviously not. Having eaten from the tree of knowledge, it is clear
that sins are not heritable. Punishments from God, perhaps, but not sins.

 > Unless making man in God's image means that man was gifted with free
 > will, a very common interpretation.

That's clearly a bad interpretation as well, unless you are saying that the
serpent was also gifted with free will and hence created in God's image, and
hence also sinlessly morally perfect, which seems to be pushing the analogy.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)