POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another philosophical religious thought... : Re: Another philosophical religious thought... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another philosophical religious thought...
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Apr 2010 20:24:24
Message: <4bccf438$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>>
>> So doesn't [that]
>> imply that irreducibly complex systems have always existed and didn't
>> need to be designed?
>>

> Even if it did, I thought the problem was with irreducibly complex
> systems coming into existence without being designed?

This is what I'm saying:

Assuming that "made man in God's image" is interpreted in a straightforward
way. If so, God didn't design the eye.  God didn't design himself - he was
always here. And he copied his eye for use with humans. Where did the design
of the eye come from? It has always been here. No need for a designer at
all.  :-)

Clearly God is an irreducibly complex system that wasn't designed. Any
irreducible thing patterned on God thus came into existence without being
designed, just like parents don't "design" their children's eyes.

Was just a silly passing thought.

> I don't think
> many proponents of irreducible complexity would have a problem with
> irreducibly complex eternal things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "external" there, especially w.r.t. God. Plus,
"we know it was designed" doesn't imply "it must have been God" either.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)