POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Spectrum (Message 44 to 53 of 53)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Spectrum
Date: 30 Apr 2010 09:23:35
Message: <4bdad9d7@news.povray.org>
> You can reduce this by using another window function - but then,
> strictly speaking, you're multiplying your signal by a window, which
> convolves its spectrum with the spectrum of the window. In other words,
> by windowing the signal you're blurring its spectrum.

Usually a slightly blurred spectrum is the preferred outcome.

> So far, everything I've ever learned about DSP seems to hinge on one
> single equation:
>
>   sin X + sin Y = 2 cos (X-Y)/2 sin (X+Y)/2
>
> This says many things. But most obviously, it says that the sum of any
> two waves is also the product of two *other* words, and vice versa. So
> the question is, at what frequency does a wave become "sound" rather
> than "variation in sound"?

20 Hz?

> The *other* question, of course, is "how many frequency bands do I need?"

Experiment!

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 30 Apr 2010 09:26:47
Message: <4bdada97$1@news.povray.org>
> (I have no idea how you measure signal energy...)

You mean how to assign a number to "loudness" given the waveform?  I'd guess
that taking the RMS over a few cycles followed by some log scaling would be
a good start, but the ear is complex...

Post a reply to this message

>> You can reduce this by using another window function - but then,
>> strictly speaking, you're multiplying your signal by a window, which
>> convolves its spectrum with the spectrum of the window. In other
>> words, by windowing the signal you're blurring its spectrum.
>
> Usually a slightly blurred spectrum is the preferred outcome.

Preferable to phantom frequencies, sure...

>> This says many things. But most obviously, it says that the sum of any
>> two waves is also the product of two *other* words, and vice versa. So
>> the question is, at what frequency does a wave become "sound" rather
>> than "variation in sound"?
>
> 20 Hz?

That's approximately the lowest frequency that the human ear can
mechanically detect. There's no particular reason to expect this to be
in any way related to the rate of change in frequency spectrum that the
human mind can percieve. (One is related to the physics of the ear, the
other is related to the internal operation of the brain...)

>> The *other* question, of course, is "how many frequency bands do I need?"
>
> Experiment!

Science: It works, bitches! :-D

Post a reply to this message

> That's approximately the lowest frequency that the human ear can
> mechanically detect. There's no particular reason to expect this to be in
> any way related to the rate of change in frequency spectrum that the human
> mind can percieve.

Modulate a 1 kHz tone with a N Hz square wave.  At what value of N do you
cease to be able to recognise the 1 kHz tone turning on and off?  I suspect
it's somewhere around 20 Hz, you could easily figure it out with a sound
editor program like Audacity.

Post a reply to this message

> Modulate a 1 kHz tone with a N Hz square wave.  At what value of N do
> you cease to be able to recognise the 1 kHz tone turning on and off?

Yes, this is the experiment to perform.

> I suspect it's somewhere around 20 Hz, you could easily figure it out with
> a sound editor program like Audacity.

I'd probably use my synthesizer actually, but anyway... ;-)

Post a reply to this message