POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Apr 2010 09:37:02
Message: <4bdadcfe@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> You can reduce this by using another window function - but then,
>> strictly speaking, you're multiplying your signal by a window, which
>> convolves its spectrum with the spectrum of the window. In other
>> words, by windowing the signal you're blurring its spectrum.
>
> Usually a slightly blurred spectrum is the preferred outcome.

Preferable to phantom frequencies, sure...

>> This says many things. But most obviously, it says that the sum of any
>> two waves is also the product of two *other* words, and vice versa. So
>> the question is, at what frequency does a wave become "sound" rather
>> than "variation in sound"?
>
> 20 Hz?

That's approximately the lowest frequency that the human ear can
mechanically detect. There's no particular reason to expect this to be
in any way related to the rate of change in frequency spectrum that the
human mind can percieve. (One is related to the physics of the ear, the
other is related to the internal operation of the brain...)

>> The *other* question, of course, is "how many frequency bands do I need?"
>
> Experiment!

Science: It works, bitches! :-D