POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 May 2010 14:14:04
Message: <4bdf126c$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> There is something about a big pipe organ with extremely low registers.
> Occasionally at church they'll pull what I think is the 16' stop, and it
> sounds incredible, there's something about that deep rumble the big
> pipes put out...

On a normal church organ, 16' is the lowest available stop. This is due
mainly to size considerations. (Not to mention that building large pipes
requires a lot of metal, and therefore costs money.)

A cathedral organ, however, would usually have at least one 32' stop.

Exactly two pipe organs on the face of the Earth have a 64' stop. But
then, really, that's not a note, it's a small earthquake! o_O

(I should maybe point out that a 16' stop doesn't necessarily contain
any pipes that are 16' long. There are ways to make the pipes shorter
[while muffling the tone they generate]. Or the stop might simply not
contain all the notes of the scale; only the *lowest* pipe would need to
be 16' long; the next just one octave up only needs to be _half_ that size!)

I leave it as an exercise for the over-interested reader to figure out
what the fundamental frequency of a 32' pipe is. (Remember that the
fundamental wavelength is 2x the pipe length - or 4x if it's a closed pipe!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/