POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blue and purple Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Blue and purple (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Invisible
Subject: Blue and purple
Date: 31 Mar 2010 05:19:36
Message: <4bb313a8$1@news.povray.org>
Does anybody know the actual name of that LCD technology that produces a
monochrone display of light blue and dark purple? (And, incidentally, is
usually scored with horizontal or vertical lines that shouldn't be there...)

Post a reply to this message

> Does anybody know the actual name of that LCD technology that produces a
> monochrone display of light blue and dark purple? (And, incidentally, is
> usually scored with horizontal or vertical lines that shouldn't be
> there...)

You mean like this?

http://www.crystalfontz.com/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?id=806

It's a transmissive passive matrix TN display.  Same as you get in
calculators or watches, except it controls the amount of light that can come
through from the backlight, rather than how much is reflected.  The blue is
because when the pixel is "off" it's only tuned to block out green light
(the brightest wavelength), so some blue (and a bit of red) manage to get
through.

Post a reply to this message

>> Does anybody know the actual name of that LCD technology that produces
>> a monochrone display of light blue and dark purple? (And,
>> incidentally, is usually scored with horizontal or vertical lines that
>> shouldn't be there...)
>
> You mean like this?
>
> http://www.crystalfontz.com/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?id=806

The ones I've seen are a lot more purple than that, but yeah...

> It's a transmissive passive matrix TN display.

OK.

> Same as you get in
> calculators or watches, except it controls the amount of light that can
> come through from the backlight, rather than how much is reflected.

Yeah, those usually just have a silvered back. And, depending on what it
is, they don't always turn completely transparent when "off". (E.g., the
phone on my desk has an 8x8 grid of pixels, and you can see where the
pixels are even when they're supposed to be off. They do turn very, very
black when they're on though.)

> The
> blue is because when the pixel is "off" it's only tuned to block out
> green light (the brightest wavelength), so some blue (and a bit of red)
> manage to get through.

Hmm, I see.

We have several items of equipment here that have screens like this. I
first saw them in laptops, about 20 years ago. But now you see them as
touch-screen controls for photocopiers and the like.

And then, at home I have a keyboard that has a backlit LCD. But it's
yellowy-green, with black pixels...

Post a reply to this message

> It's a transmissive passive matrix TN display.

TN = Twisted Nemetic?

Post a reply to this message

> Yeah, those usually just have a silvered back. And, depending on what it
> is, they don't always turn completely transparent when "off". (E.g., the
> phone on my desk has an 8x8 grid of pixels, and you can see where the
> pixels are even when they're supposed to be off. They do turn very, very
> black when they're on though.)

Only if you look at them from exactly the right angle :-)

> We have several items of equipment here that have screens like this. I
> first saw them in laptops, about 20 years ago. But now you see them as
> touch-screen controls for photocopiers and the like.

Yes, they are very cheap compared to higher performance displays.  Not just
the actual LCD, but also the drive electronics required is much simpler.

> And then, at home I have a keyboard that has a backlit LCD. But it's
> yellowy-green, with black pixels...

The "colour" of a monochrome display is just the combination of the LED
colour used in the backlight, and what wavelength the LCD is tuned to block.
I guess there are common combinations, but pretty much anything should be
possible.

> TN = Twisted Nemetic?

Yes

Post a reply to this message

>> Yeah, those usually just have a silvered back. And, depending on what
>> it is, they don't always turn completely transparent when "off".
>> (E.g., the phone on my desk has an 8x8 grid of pixels, and you can see
>> where the pixels are even when they're supposed to be off. They do
>> turn very, very black when they're on though.)
>
> Only if you look at them from exactly the right angle :-)

Hmm, yes... Apparently if I stand in front of my desk phone, all the off
pixels become completely transparent.

Why is LCD angle-dependent in the first place?

>> We have several items of equipment here that have screens like this. I
>> first saw them in laptops, about 20 years ago. But now you see them as
>> touch-screen controls for photocopiers and the like.
>
> Yes, they are very cheap compared to higher performance displays.  Not
> just the actual LCD, but also the drive electronics required is much
> simpler.

I'm guessing making it touch-sensitive makes it more expensive though?
(How the hell do they do that anyway? And how come the display doesn't
"ripple" when you do this?)

>> And then, at home I have a keyboard that has a backlit LCD. But it's
>> yellowy-green, with black pixels...
>
> The "colour" of a monochrome display is just the combination of the LED
> colour used in the backlight, and what wavelength the LCD is tuned to
> block. I guess there are common combinations, but pretty much anything
> should be possible.

So the keyboard probably has a green backlight and green liquid crystals?

I was under the impression that high-performance displays (e.g., my
computer monitor) use florescent lighting rather than LEDs. (Although,
obviously, I don't design LCDs for a living...)

Post a reply to this message