POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blue and purple : Re: Blue and purple Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blue and purple
From: scott
Date: 31 Mar 2010 06:14:40
Message: <4bb32090$1@news.povray.org>
> Yeah, those usually just have a silvered back. And, depending on what it
> is, they don't always turn completely transparent when "off". (E.g., the
> phone on my desk has an 8x8 grid of pixels, and you can see where the
> pixels are even when they're supposed to be off. They do turn very, very
> black when they're on though.)

Only if you look at them from exactly the right angle :-)

> We have several items of equipment here that have screens like this. I
> first saw them in laptops, about 20 years ago. But now you see them as
> touch-screen controls for photocopiers and the like.

Yes, they are very cheap compared to higher performance displays.  Not just
the actual LCD, but also the drive electronics required is much simpler.

> And then, at home I have a keyboard that has a backlit LCD. But it's
> yellowy-green, with black pixels...

The "colour" of a monochrome display is just the combination of the LED
colour used in the backlight, and what wavelength the LCD is tuned to block.
I guess there are common combinations, but pretty much anything should be
possible.

> TN = Twisted Nemetic?

Yes