POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blue and purple : Re: Blue and purple Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blue and purple
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2010 05:50:23
Message: <4bb31adf$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Does anybody know the actual name of that LCD technology that produces
>> a monochrone display of light blue and dark purple? (And,
>> incidentally, is usually scored with horizontal or vertical lines that
>> shouldn't be there...)
>
> You mean like this?
>
> http://www.crystalfontz.com/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?id=806

The ones I've seen are a lot more purple than that, but yeah...

> It's a transmissive passive matrix TN display.

OK.

> Same as you get in
> calculators or watches, except it controls the amount of light that can
> come through from the backlight, rather than how much is reflected.

Yeah, those usually just have a silvered back. And, depending on what it
is, they don't always turn completely transparent when "off". (E.g., the
phone on my desk has an 8x8 grid of pixels, and you can see where the
pixels are even when they're supposed to be off. They do turn very, very
black when they're on though.)

> The
> blue is because when the pixel is "off" it's only tuned to block out
> green light (the brightest wavelength), so some blue (and a bit of red)
> manage to get through.

Hmm, I see.

We have several items of equipment here that have screens like this. I
first saw them in laptops, about 20 years ago. But now you see them as
touch-screen controls for photocopiers and the like.

And then, at home I have a keyboard that has a backlit LCD. But it's
yellowy-green, with black pixels...