POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blue and purple : Re: Blue and purple Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blue and purple
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Mar 2010 06:48:13
Message: <4bb3286d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yeah, those usually just have a silvered back. And, depending on what
>> it is, they don't always turn completely transparent when "off".
>> (E.g., the phone on my desk has an 8x8 grid of pixels, and you can see
>> where the pixels are even when they're supposed to be off. They do
>> turn very, very black when they're on though.)
>
> Only if you look at them from exactly the right angle :-)

Hmm, yes... Apparently if I stand in front of my desk phone, all the off
pixels become completely transparent.

Why is LCD angle-dependent in the first place?

>> We have several items of equipment here that have screens like this. I
>> first saw them in laptops, about 20 years ago. But now you see them as
>> touch-screen controls for photocopiers and the like.
>
> Yes, they are very cheap compared to higher performance displays.  Not
> just the actual LCD, but also the drive electronics required is much
> simpler.

I'm guessing making it touch-sensitive makes it more expensive though?
(How the hell do they do that anyway? And how come the display doesn't
"ripple" when you do this?)

>> And then, at home I have a keyboard that has a backlit LCD. But it's
>> yellowy-green, with black pixels...
>
> The "colour" of a monochrome display is just the combination of the LED
> colour used in the backlight, and what wavelength the LCD is tuned to
> block. I guess there are common combinations, but pretty much anything
> should be possible.

So the keyboard probably has a green backlight and green liquid crystals?

I was under the impression that high-performance displays (e.g., my
computer monitor) use florescent lighting rather than LEDs. (Although,
obviously, I don't design LCDs for a living...)