POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why homeopathy can be dangerous Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Why homeopathy can be dangerous (Message 71 to 80 of 117)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: Why homeopathy can be dangerous
Date: 27 Mar 2010 12:04:15
Message: <4bae2c7f@news.povray.org>
On 03/26/10 23:13, Warp wrote:
> Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>> On 03/26/10 01:28, Warp wrote:
>>>   I have hard time understanding the psychological phenomenon that many
>>> people are eager to believe in some things based solely on what other
>>> people *claim*, without any actual convincing evidence, or with just some
>>> flimsy circumstancial evidence of eyewitness testimony, and *keep believing*
>>> in it even after an enormously more comprehensive and accurate testing shows
>>> that the thing is bogus.
>
>>         Finland must be an awesome place to live.
>
>>         Seriously? You find it hard to believe?
>
>   No, I find it hard to *understand*. Different thing.

	Perhaps you really meant hard to *explain*.

--
"Hex Dump" - Where Witches put used Curses?

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 27 Mar 2010 12:08:00
Message: <4bae2d60$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/26/10 23:15, Warp wrote:
>>         You could simply go a step further and blame a lot of authorities for
>> giving good reasons to mistrust them.
>
>   In this case "authority" would be regular, official medical practice. What
> have they done to earn people's mistrust? Why is quackery more trustworthy
> in the eyes of many people?

	Well, in the US, it wouldn't be doctors, but either the FDA, or the
medical research community, or both.

	I can't come up with reasons to distrust them, though. The FDA sucks
for food, but is probably quite good on medicine.

	I think the main problem with those folks, though, is that they easily
generalize from legitimately distrusting n groups in authority to
"Authorities always work for vested interests".

	The only difference between their stance and yours is that you're being
a bit more granular. (Which is not an irrelevant difference).