POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in ___ is like ___ Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Coding in ___ is like ___ (Message 47 to 56 of 66)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Coding in ___ is like ___
Date: 2 Mar 2010 23:25:01
Message: <web.4b8de39cadada4adb54c01350@news.povray.org>
> One of the better ones I've seen.
>
> http://web.mit.edu/~axch/www/writing_rant.html

my gosh!  So many messages and all of them irrelevant!

what is truly amusing about this is that it was written by Peter Parker himself!
o_0

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 4 Mar 2010 17:45:06
Message: <4b9037f2@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   Exactly which part of C is simpler for newbies than C++?
>
> You don't have to deal with constructors, destructors, exceptions, the
> difference between casing classes and casting pointers to classes, etc.

Right; instead, you have to deal with a dozen different library
implementations of object construction, destruction and error handling;
such as GObject :)

Another example: POV-Ray 3.6 has virtual functions reinvented in C (to call
"intersect with ray" on any Object* without knowing if it's a Sphere or an
Isosurface). It's harder to figure out what's going on than if you just had
a C++ class with virtual methods, because no other C program does it
**exactly** the same way as POV 3.6.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not familiar with Ruby, Scheme, or Mozart. Of course I've heard of
> all these things, but I don't know anything about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_(programming_language)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Amadeus_Mozart

Post a reply to this message

>>>   Exactly which part of C is simpler for newbies than C++?
>> You don't have to deal with constructors, destructors, exceptions, the
>> difference between casing classes and casting pointers to classes, etc.
>
> Right; instead, you have to deal with a dozen different library
> implementations of object construction, destruction and error handling;

Actually, I don't. Note the term "newbies". :-)

I honestly wouldn't teach either one as a first language. Even Pascal is
pushing it, IME.

> Another example: POV-Ray 3.6 has virtual functions reinvented in C (to call
> "intersect with ray" on any Object* without knowing if it's a Sphere or an
> Isosurface). It's harder to figure out what's going on than if you just had
> a C++ class with virtual methods, because no other C program does it
> **exactly** the same way as POV 3.6.

Yep. And the problem is that no C program can possibly do it the same way as
C++ in any sort of portable way. So every C++ library that uses any of this
sort of feature is incompatible with being called by any sort of C program.
Hence, the proliferation of such faux-OO libraries.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not

Post a reply to this message

Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with Ruby, Scheme, or Mozart. Of course I've heard of
> > all these things, but I don't know anything about them.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_(programming_language)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Amadeus_Mozart

haha, Mozart is also an implementation of the language Oz.  Not the kingdom...
:P

Post a reply to this message

> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Invisible wrote:
>> > I'm not familiar with Ruby, Scheme, or Mozart. Of course I've heard of
>> > all these things, but I don't know anything about them.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_(programming_language)
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language)
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Amadeus_Mozart
>
> haha, Mozart is also an implementation of the language Oz.  Not the
> kingdom...
> :P

The original article was definitely referring to the composer, so I'm
surprised Andrew says he's "not familiar with Mozart" :)

Post a reply to this message

> The original article was definitely referring to the composer, so I'm
> surprised Andrew says he's "not familiar with Mozart" :)

Obviously I know that there was a famous composer named Mozart. But I
couldn't tell you what he's famous for, or what his music sounds like.

Post a reply to this message

> > The original article was definitely referring to the composer, so I'm
> > surprised Andrew says he's "not familiar with Mozart" :)
>
> Obviously I know that there was a famous composer named Mozart. But I
> couldn't tell you what he's famous for, or what his music sounds like.

we've been through this before, I'm sure.  But your lack of curiosity is truly
legendary.  Let me do the youtube jig for you, just with some of the most
well-known pops from the master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lC1lRz5Z_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKhH2hRa-WQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65goW_dzs0