POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in ___ is like ___ : Re: Coding in ___ is like ___ Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coding in ___ is like ___
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Mar 2010 18:20:59
Message: <4b90405b$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Warp wrote:
>>>   Exactly which part of C is simpler for newbies than C++?
>> You don't have to deal with constructors, destructors, exceptions, the
>> difference between casing classes and casting pointers to classes, etc.
>
> Right; instead, you have to deal with a dozen different library
> implementations of object construction, destruction and error handling;

Actually, I don't. Note the term "newbies". :-)

I honestly wouldn't teach either one as a first language. Even Pascal is
pushing it, IME.

> Another example: POV-Ray 3.6 has virtual functions reinvented in C (to call
> "intersect with ray" on any Object* without knowing if it's a Sphere or an
> Isosurface). It's harder to figure out what's going on than if you just had
> a C++ class with virtual methods, because no other C program does it
> **exactly** the same way as POV 3.6.

Yep. And the problem is that no C program can possibly do it the same way as
C++ in any sort of portable way. So every C++ library that uses any of this
sort of feature is incompatible with being called by any sort of C program.
Hence, the proliferation of such faux-OO libraries.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   The question in today's corporate environment is not