POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I got it! w00t! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  I got it! w00t! (Message 1 to 10 of 41)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Subject: I got it! w00t!
Date: 19 Feb 2010 08:50:29
Message: <4b7e9725$1@news.povray.org>
I guess you will all have to put up with me blogging about my new computer.

Most of the components arrived yesterday - everything but the CPU fan.  But
I've got spare 120mm fans laying around, so that didn't stop me from putting
it all together yesterday.  Once everything was installed, I turned it on,
and surprisingly (for me anyway), it all worked the first time I flipped the
switch.  It was about 10:30pm at that point (I'm slow), so I was going to
simply leave it alone until today, but I just couldn't leave it.  I got
Windows 7 installed and then messed around with some overclocking.

Asus actually ships with a utility that "auto-tunes" the overclock for you.
It just keeps raising the speeds and voltages, then testing until your
system crashes.  It was getting pretty late at that point, so I stopped
messing with it, but it seemed to really start having trouble around 3.6 to
3.7GHz.  3.5GHz seemed pretty stable, but it's hard to say for certain.

Windows 7 takes about 20 seconds from start to displaying the login prompt,
then only 2 seconds from there to display the desktop.  Of course, as I load
more crap onto the machine, that will become slower and slower.

Temps: I was in my basement, where it was perhaps 60F-65F last night.  With
no overclock, the system was idling at about 24C.  That's crazy cool.  OC'd
to 3.3GHz, it was idling at 28C and hit 56C under load.  I really didn't
monitor the temps very much, though, so it's possible that they went a bit
higher.

Fun!

Post a reply to this message

> I guess you will all have to put up with me blogging about my new computer.

Don't worry about it.

> Temps: I was in my basement, where it was perhaps 60F-65F last night.  With
> no overclock, the system was idling at about 24C.  That's crazy cool.  OC'd
> to 3.3GHz, it was idling at 28C and hit 56C under load.  I really didn't
> monitor the temps very much, though, so it's possible that they went a bit
> higher.

I'm loving the arbitrary mixture of Celsius and Farenheit.

> Fun!

Indeed.

It's when you try the POV-Ray beta's realtime raytracing with video
underlay that it gets exciting...

Post a reply to this message

>> I guess you will all have to put up with me blogging about my new
>> computer.
>
> Don't worry about it.

As if you had any right to complain.  LOL!

>> Temps: I was in my basement, where it was perhaps 60F-65F last night.
>> With no overclock, the system was idling at about 24C.  That's crazy
>> cool.  OC'd to 3.3GHz, it was idling at 28C and hit 56C under load.  I
>> really didn't monitor the temps very much, though, so it's possible that
>> they went a bit higher.
>
> I'm loving the arbitrary mixture of Celsius and Farenheit.

I actually noticed that when I typed it up.  CPU temps, I think about C, but
ambient/room temps, I think of F.  I guess that's how we Americans are...
Perhaps I should also mention that the CPU cooler is about 6 inches high,
leaving my case with only about 1 cm of clearance.  ;-)

>> Fun!
>
> Indeed.
>
> It's when you try the POV-Ray beta's realtime raytracing with video
> underlay that it gets exciting...

Yeah.  I was really tempted to download POV and do some testing, but it was
past midnight, and I knew for certain that I would not be able to walk away
once I started playing with POV.

Post a reply to this message

>>> I guess you will all have to put up with me blogging about my new
>>> computer.
>> Don't worry about it.
>
> As if you had any right to complain.  LOL!

Actually I was speaking from experience. ;-)

>> I'm loving the arbitrary mixture of Celsius and Farenheit.
>
> I actually noticed that when I typed it up.  CPU temps, I think about C, but
> ambient/room temps, I think of F.  I guess that's how we Americans are...
> Perhaps I should also mention that the CPU cooler is about 6 inches high,
> leaving my case with only about 1 cm of clearance.  ;-)

I guess we won't even get into the whole craziness that I know that I'm
6 feet 2 inches tall, but I have no idea how many meters that is. Or
that they sell petrol in litres, but all cars measure fuel in gallons...

>> It's when you try the POV-Ray beta's realtime raytracing with video
>> underlay that it gets exciting...
>
> Yeah.  I was really tempted to download POV and do some testing, but it was
> past midnight, and I knew for certain that I would not be able to walk away
> once I started playing with POV.

BEWARE THE LEMNISCATE ZONE! Easy to enter, IMPOSSIBLE to leave!

Post a reply to this message