POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I got it! w00t! : I got it! w00t! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  I got it! w00t!
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 19 Feb 2010 08:50:29
Message: <4b7e9725$1@news.povray.org>
I guess you will all have to put up with me blogging about my new computer.

Most of the components arrived yesterday - everything but the CPU fan.  But
I've got spare 120mm fans laying around, so that didn't stop me from putting
it all together yesterday.  Once everything was installed, I turned it on,
and surprisingly (for me anyway), it all worked the first time I flipped the
switch.  It was about 10:30pm at that point (I'm slow), so I was going to
simply leave it alone until today, but I just couldn't leave it.  I got
Windows 7 installed and then messed around with some overclocking.

Asus actually ships with a utility that "auto-tunes" the overclock for you.
It just keeps raising the speeds and voltages, then testing until your
system crashes.  It was getting pretty late at that point, so I stopped
messing with it, but it seemed to really start having trouble around 3.6 to
3.7GHz.  3.5GHz seemed pretty stable, but it's hard to say for certain.

Windows 7 takes about 20 seconds from start to displaying the login prompt,
then only 2 seconds from there to display the desktop.  Of course, as I load
more crap onto the machine, that will become slower and slower.

Temps: I was in my basement, where it was perhaps 60F-65F last night.  With
no overclock, the system was idling at about 24C.  That's crazy cool.  OC'd
to 3.3GHz, it was idling at 28C and hit 56C under load.  I really didn't
monitor the temps very much, though, so it's possible that they went a bit
higher.

Fun!