POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I got it! w00t! : Re: I got it! w00t! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I got it! w00t!
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Feb 2010 11:47:40
Message: <4b7ec0ac@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Just take care, because overclocking leads to unreliability.

This is why I never overlock anything, even though obviously I'd like it
to go faster.

> The factory
> already tested the chip and they marked it with the maximum safe speed.
> (That's how they decide if a part is a 3.3GHz part, or a 3.0, or a 2.8,
> etc)

Not necessarily.

Sometimes parts are sold as 2.8 GHz because they're not stable enough to
run at 3.3 GHz or whatever. And sometimes they're sold as 2.8 because
the 2.8 bin is looking a bit empty this week.

It depends on what production yields the manufacturer is getting, and
how much demand for different CPU speeds there is currently. If lots of
people are buying the cheap 2.8 chips and not many buying the expensive
3.3 ones, they're going to label more of them as 2.8 to get more sales.

So it's just kind of pot-luck as to how much you can overclock your
particular chip. ;-)