POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Didn't someone ask... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Didn't someone ask... (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Didn't someone ask...
Date: 12 Feb 2010 11:35:49
Message: <4b758365$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I'm just wondering what all these people are apparently using cloud
> computing *for*... I can't think of a good reason.

All the "web-scale" applications that don't want to buy their own machines.
Reddit, facebook, twitter, etc.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 12 Feb 2010 11:40:49
Message: <4b758491@news.povray.org>
>> I'm just wondering what all these people are apparently using cloud
>> computing *for*... I can't think of a good reason.
>
> All the "web-scale" applications that don't want to buy their own
> machines. Reddit, facebook, twitter, etc.

You would have thought Facebook could afford to buy the entire Internet
multiple times over...

Still not sure what use this is to the average Joe on the street.

Post a reply to this message

> You would have thought Facebook could afford to buy the entire Internet
> multiple times over...

I wouldn't think so.

> Still not sure what use this is to the average Joe on the street.

OK, so you want to render a thirty-minute POV video, where each second takes
two CPU-minutes to calculate. Begin now.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do
   I get "focus follows gaze"?

Post a reply to this message

>> Still not sure what use this is to the average Joe on the street.
>
> OK, so you want to render a thirty-minute POV video, where each second
> takes two CPU-minutes to calculate. Begin now.

How is this any different to me just going out and buying a big
computer? As far as I can tell, the only difference is that you're
renting compute power rather than buying it. (And as we all know, buying
is usually cheaper than renting except for one-offs.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> OK, so you want to render a thirty-minute POV video, where each second
> takes two CPU-minutes to calculate. Begin now.

Should I resurrect my BOINC-POVRay project and get everyone in povray.off-
topic to join and contribute CPU? It wouldn't cost me money that way :)

Post a reply to this message