POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Didn't someone ask... : Re: Didn't someone ask... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Didn't someone ask...
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Feb 2010 13:48:34
Message: <4b75a282$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> How is this any different to me just going out and buying a big
> computer?

Or going out and buying a couple hundred big computers?  To do a week-long
render? Then what?

 > As far as I can tell, the only difference is that you're
> renting compute power rather than buying it.

For many "cloud" providers, yes, that's exactly the difference. Plus, you're
renting by the hour, rather than by the month or year.  Why would you by 20
high-end computers and rack them up in your house if you can rent it from
someone else?

For Google, you're using proprietary APIs on their cloud, so if you want to
take the bulk of it into your own machines, you can't. Until now, which is
what that announcement was about.

> (And as we all know, buying
> is usually cheaper than renting except for one-offs.)

It depends on how much you get with your rental. Maintenance? Backups? Rack
space? Electricity?  Disaster planning? You still have to pay to run the
things, and you still have to have stand-by capacity for overloads.

Of course, with something like Amazon, you can rent until your capacity
warrants buying processors. And then you can use Amazon to handle the
overflow, or the seasonal rush, or the new product announcement, or whatever.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do