POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Didn't someone ask... : Re: Didn't someone ask... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Didn't someone ask...
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Feb 2010 19:11:12
Message: <4b75ee20$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> ...which works out to $216/day or $1,512/month - which is slightly
> outside most people's budget.

What, $2/day for a 24-hour pov-ray renderer? If you only need 100 compute
rs
for a day, $216 is really not a whole lot of money.

> By contrast, buy a big computer, put it in your loft, leave it running

> all year. It'll cost maybe £500 to buy in the first place, but at
the
> end of a year you'll have a finished result.

Well, sure. You can buy one computer and take a month to do something, or

rent 100 and take a couple hours to do something. Note that if your progr
am
takes a year, that's 100 computers for about 1.2 days, so you come out
ahead. Admittedly, you don't have the computer at the end of the year, bu
you saved a year's worth of time and electricity too.

> Some *companies* make money with computers; it's news to me that
> individual people can do this.

Uh, OK. I'm sorry to hear that.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)