POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Didn't someone ask... : Re: Didn't someone ask... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Didn't someone ask...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Feb 2010 16:38:19
Message: <4b75ca4b@news.povray.org>
>> The average person can't afford to buy a hundred big computers. But
>> then, the average person can't afford to rent a hundred big computers
>> in a cloud either.
>
> Nonsense. Amazon's computers are like $0.09/hour.
>
> http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/#pricing
>
> 100 "small" amazon computers are $9/hour.

...which works out to $216/day or $1,512/month - which is slightly
outside most people's budget.

By contrast, buy a big computer, put it in your loft, leave it running
all year. It'll cost maybe £500 to buy in the first place, but at the
end of a year you'll have a finished result.

> You asked for a good reason; I gave you several.  Some of us actually
> make money with computers.

Some *companies* make money with computers; it's news to me that
individual people can do this.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/