POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strength Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Strength (Message 15 to 24 of 34)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Strength
Date: 9 Feb 2010 11:10:14
Message: <4b7188e6$1@news.povray.org>
>> Not obese, no. Also not fit. My arms contain very little muscle, and
>> attempting to lift 100 Kg using only my arms operating in an unusual
>> direction is pretty much beyond my current capabilities.
>
> You make it sound harder than it is :-)

No, actually putting it in writing makes it sound significantly *easier*
than it is.

> First off you are probably not lifting 100kg when you do pushups,
> because a good part of your weight is supported by your feet. I think
> less than 70% of your weight is more accurate. Even less if you do them
> on your knees (which you should probably try).

Well, just for giggles, I did have a go at a pushup a little earlier
today. I can get my head a few milimeters off the floor, but that's
about it. My neck and shoulders can't take much more than that, never
mind the unability of my arms to supply sufficient power. (And ignoring
the increased blood pressure to my head...)

> And the arms are not in an unusual position when you do that exercise.
> They are very well made to operate in front of your torso :-)

Sure. And I can lift fairly heavy loads in an *upwards* direction. But
pushing forwards is a pretty unusual configuration.

> Read this book for more fun :-D

http://www.lulu.com/product/t%C3%A9l%C3%A9chargement/the-little-book-of-push-ups/6102671

"Fortunately, it is almost impossible to injure yourself while doing
basic pushups."

LMAO! WTF?

Post a reply to this message

> Well, just for giggles, I did have a go at a pushup a little earlier
> today. I can get my head a few milimeters off the floor, but that's
> about it. My neck and shoulders can't take much more than that, never
> mind the unability of my arms to supply sufficient power. (And ignoring
> the increased blood pressure to my head...)

You're doing it wrong. You should start at the up position, then go down
as far as you can, then go back up. Trying to start from lying flat on
the ground is quite a bit harder and won't train you to succeed...

>> And the arms are not in an unusual position when you do that exercise.
>> They are very well made to operate in front of your torso :-)
>
> Sure. And I can lift fairly heavy loads in an *upwards* direction. But
> pushing forwards is a pretty unusual configuration.

What about all this time you spent on all fours as a child? What about
all those doors you've pushed?

If you prefer pushing upward you can try vertical pushups, but they are
not the easiest kind ;-)

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

> You're doing it wrong. You should start at the up position, then go down
> as far as you can, then go back up. Trying to start from lying flat on
> the ground is quite a bit harder and won't train you to succeed...

Oh. I see.

>>> And the arms are not in an unusual position when you do that
>>> exercise. They are very well made to operate in front of your torso :-)
>>
>> Sure. And I can lift fairly heavy loads in an *upwards* direction. But
>> pushing forwards is a pretty unusual configuration.
>
> What about all this time you spent on all fours as a child?

Mass rises as the cube of size, but muscle power rises as the square of
size. (This is why ants can lift 1,000 times their own weight, but
elephants can only lumber along.)

Besides, you can move on all fours with your elbows locked. That doesn't
take much muscle power. ;-)

> What about all those doors you've pushed?

A door isn't nearly as heavy as a person.

I did, however, move a piano up a spiral staircase one time... Jesus,
THAT was fun! o_O

Post a reply to this message