POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The question continues Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  The question continues (Message 71 to 80 of 126)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: The question continues
Date: 1 Feb 2010 15:26:07
Message: <4b6738df@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> and "a unix OS" means "behaves like Unix", not
>> "has code from the original Unix".
>
> Wouldn't most any POSIX-compliant OS fit this definition?

There's some interesting info about GNU's POSIX compliance.

By default, a few GNU tools deviate from POSIX, leaving a way to enable
POSIX compliance. There was an environment variable called POSIX_ME_HARDER
to make several GNU things follow the POSIX specification more closely. It
was then renamed to POSIXLY_CORRECT.

"POSIXLY_CORRECT exists so we have an excuse to say that we still support
the spec, if you define the environment variable. POSIX_ME_HARDER was the
original way. Then a slightly prudish board member convinced me to change it
to POSIXLY_CORRECT which I now think was a mistake. I should have left it as
POSIX_ME_HARDER."
-- Richard Stallman

Post a reply to this message