POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Loneliness Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Loneliness (Message 36 to 45 of 95)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Loneliness
Date: 2 Feb 2010 13:19:30
Message: <4b686cb2$1@news.povray.org>
>> I can be brief when cursing.
> also is not particularly constructive

"Profanity is my primary debugging tool."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 2 Feb 2010 14:15:03
Message: <web.4b6878cbd4dc6fcd412fad2f0@news.povray.org>
> >> I can be brief when cursing.
> > also is not particularly constructive
>
> "Profanity is my primary debugging tool."

funny.  Dilbert?

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Feb 2010 14:40:39
Message: <4b687fb7$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>>> also is not particularly constructive
>> "Profanity is my primary debugging tool."
>
> funny.  Dilbert?

No, one of the blogs I follow.  (I don't remember which.)

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Feb 2010 15:36:09
Message: <4b688cb9$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:08:57 -0800, DungBeatle wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> Yep, it's so difficult to get your train of thought back
> (and some
>> studies show it can take a half hour to get back to the
> frame of mind you
>> were in when you were interrupted).
>
> Having several source files open, making global changes is the worst
> time. There have been times where someone walks in, blabbing about this
> or that, and I'd just close all the files and start over. And it's not
> like I have all these buddies coming in to talk, no, it's always some
> idiot who can't configure a browser to allow popup windows to open...
> It's always best to ask a programmer those questions, you know... Don't
> call the help desk... :)

Yeah, I have that problem as well in the office.  I don't mind helping
coworkers with things that are a little more involved (like walking them
through data manipulation, which I do a lot of anyways), but often it's
just someone stopping by to chat.  Or me getting up to stretch and
stopping by to chat with coworkers in a way that I know is distracting to
them.

So it works better for everyone if I'm home most of the time. :-)

>> I love working at home for this reason - far fewer
> distractions.
>> Jim
>
> After 20 years, I finally got an unlisted work phone number. The phone I
> have doesn't ring and goes immediatley to message. But I'd much rather
> work at home and could do that, but I drive the wife to work (same
> employer) every day. When I retire...

That's cool.  I have an extension from the office that rings here, but
very often it's set to forward to voicemail.  I figure if it's important,
they'll leave a message, and if they don't leave a message, then they
probably should've called someone else first.

Occasionally my wife or stepson will interrupt, but they're learning that
when I'm working, I'm working.  The fridge is less than 10 feet from my
desk, though (my "office" is just outside the kitchen and isn't
enclosed), so I do occasionally have people wandering through.  Or cats.

Jim

Post a reply to this message