POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Loneliness : Re: Loneliness Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Loneliness
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Feb 2010 15:39:41
Message: <4b688d8d@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:22:41 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> The net result of this is that the IT Director receives roughly 900
> emails *per day*, most of them nothing to do with anything. And the
> result of *that* is that if you send the IT Director an email of more
> than about six syllables, he'll read the first sentence and send a reply
> to that - which usually result in him asking a question which is
> answered two lines further down the email you originally sent.
>
> This is severely exasperating.

Yep, I see that myself on occasion.  That's one of the reasons that I've
started shortening my communications (over the past several *years*).  No
point in answering a question at the outset when you're going to be asked
it later and make the person asking feel stupid by saying "if you read
the first message on this topic, that question is answered".

My director has started having me do more staff presentations lately, and
generally asks me to do 3-4 slides to summarize the point.  The end
result (which is what she was really going for) was that I get much more
concise in my explanations and don't drag the discussion out.  That's
been a very useful tool.

Jim