POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Working it out Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Working it out (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Invisible
Subject: Working it out
Date: 28 Jan 2010 07:39:17
Message: <4b618575$1@news.povray.org>
Here's an interesting observation.

A couple of months ago I was working on a project, and it seemed like
the most exciting thing *ever*. I even offered to write a piece about it
and have it published. I avidly worked on putting together the first
draft and making it as great as possible.

A week or two ago, I had to come up with the final version. And
suddenly, just a few months later, it seems like the most boring,
uninteresting project imaginable. I put all this work into writing the
original draft, but I just can't be bothered to finished it off. Even
just rereading it seems tedious and boring.

Eventually I did in fact do a final recheck and get the article
published. But it just seems strange to me that something which was so
all-possessingly fascinating a month or two ago is suddenly dull and
uninteresting today.

Maybe that's why I never actually finish anything. I get bored too
quickly...

Post a reply to this message

> A week or two ago, I had to come up with the final version. And suddenly,
> just a few months later, it seems like the most boring, uninteresting
> project imaginable.

Sounds very familiar!  You say you'd hate being a manager, but if you were
you could do all the fun bits yourself, and when it gets boring delegate it
to someone else :-)

Post a reply to this message

>> A week or two ago, I had to come up with the final version. And
>> suddenly, just a few months later, it seems like the most boring,
>> uninteresting project imaginable.
>
> Sounds very familiar!  You say you'd hate being a manager, but if you
> were you could do all the fun bits yourself, and when it gets boring
> delegate it to someone else :-)

Heh. Delegation FTW! :-D

Nah, I still don't think I'd like that. Managers are supposed to order
people around, not do the actual technical work. (Not that all managers
seem to realise this...)

Post a reply to this message

> Nah, I still don't think I'd like that. Managers are supposed to order
> people around, not do the actual technical work. (Not that all managers
> seem to realise this...)

I don't see how if you are a manager in charge of only a few people,
ordering them around is going to take up 100% of your time.  Most managers I
know that are in charge of a small number of people do plenty of technical
work themselves in addition to their managerial duties.

Post a reply to this message

>> Nah, I still don't think I'd like that. Managers are supposed to order
>> people around, not do the actual technical work. (Not that all
>> managers seem to realise this...)
>
> I don't see how if you are a manager in charge of only a few people,
> ordering them around is going to take up 100% of your time.  Most
> managers I know that are in charge of a small number of people do plenty
> of technical work themselves in addition to their managerial duties.

In that case, I guess it depends on company structure. Most managers
I've seen are in charge of dozens if not hundreds of people. If you're
only in charge of (say) 3 people, that makes you like more of a team
leader than an actual manager...

Post a reply to this message

> Most managers I've seen are in charge of dozens if not hundreds of people.
> If you're only in charge of (say) 3 people, that makes you like more of a
> team leader than an actual manager...

I think it's just whatever arbitrary job names the company comes up with :-)
Also the size of the company probably makes a difference as to how many job
"levels" there are and what counts as manager.  Here we only have about 100
people, so it goes Engineer/Researcher --> Manager --> Director --> Managing
Director.  Obviously in a larger company you need to start putting in more
levels like Team Leader and Senior Manager or whatever.

Post a reply to this message

>> Most managers I've seen are in charge of dozens if not hundreds of
>> people. If you're only in charge of (say) 3 people, that makes you
>> like more of a team leader than an actual manager...
>
> I think it's just whatever arbitrary job names the company comes up with
> :-)

Yeah, figures.

> Also the size of the company probably makes a difference as to how
> many job "levels" there are and what counts as manager.

Seems to depend on company culture more than actual size. Some companies
just seem to prefer layers and layers and layers of management, while
others seem to try to keep everything as flat as possible.

Post a reply to this message